- Feb 21, 2023
- City Hall
We’re Hiring! Join my team as a Communications Advisor
Job Posting: Communications Advisor
Office of Councillor Brad Bradford
Ward 19 | Beaches-East York
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to community building and local politics in one of Toronto’s most diverse and engaged constituencies. The Communications Advisor role is a fast-paced, highly rewarding position in a collaborative and energetic team.
Working with our team, the Councillor, residents and stakeholders, the Advisor will provide strong strategic communications support by developing engaging content that builds connections with communities, encourages dialog, and provides up-to-date City information.
What can you expect to do?
- Play a key role in executing the Councillor’s communications strategy by planning and creating multimedia content, news releases, editorials (op-eds), website posts, and other communications.
- Record and edit photo and video content to highlight the Councillor’s work and activities.
- Contribute to management and growth of social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc) by developing and sharing original content.
- Liaise with internal (City of Toronto) and external stakeholders (such as community groups, residents, and non-profits) to provide updates and share information to members of the public.
- Act as Councillor Bradford’s representative and lead contact for community associations, local boards and other community groups as assigned.
- Keep Councillor Bradford and his team up to date on current events, emerging trends, breaking news, and areas for policy and communications engagement.
- Triage resident inquiries across social platforms, monitor tags and mentions, and grow online impact.
- Organize, attend and capture content at local and city-wide events.
- Prepare key messages, talking points and speaking notes for media inquiries, events, and speaking engagements.
- Respond to and arrange media opportunities.
- Lead production of the Councillor’s bi-annual household newsletter.
- Build and maintain an organized online archive of digital media and graphic design assets.
- Contribute to other community-based and office projects, or take on other special assignments within the team.
What would make you successful in this role?
We’re open to a wide range of background experience. The most important candidate attributes are an interest in local government and politics, skills with digital and social media, and a desire to support the community and our team through collaboration and positivity. Broadly, we’re looking for:
- Ability to multi-task and manage diverse projects and responsibilities within the frequently evolving priorities of a political office.
- Resourceful self-starter who can proactively and independently launch communication projects from start to finish.
- Experience with digital media tools (such as video editing, Adobe Suite, Canva) and with building and growing social media platforms.
- Interest in Toronto issues, city building, municipal politics (from policy to communication to operations), learning about government processes, and acting on opportunities to create change on issues that matter to residents and community groups.
- Able to handle sensitive constituent correspondence and government materials with confidentiality and discretion.
- Familiarity with communications and digital media management, or previous experience in a political or public relations role, is considered an asset.
- Experience with photography, video, editing, and/or graphic design is considered an asset.
The position is full-time, starts immediately and is based at Toronto City Hall, Councillor Bradford’s Constituency Office (located at Danforth & Woodbine), and out in the community.
To apply, please forward your resume and cover note to:
Ashley Millman, Chief of Staff at [email protected]